Who are we?
We are a group of like minded men, who come from a wide geographical area in the Midlands who gather to practice and enjoy Freemasonry
We have a wide range of members who travel from the West Midlands, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Derbyshire to join in our meetings, so its not that important to live locally!
Freemasonry means different things to each of those who join. For some, it’s about making new friends and acquaintances. For others it’s about being able to help deserving causes – making a contribution to family and for society. But for most, it is an enjoyable hobby.
Freemasonry is one of the world’s oldest and largest non-religious, non-political, fraternal and charitable organisation. It teaches self-knowledge through participation in a progression of ceremonies. Members are expected to be of high moral standing and are encouraged to speak openly about Freemasonry.
For six great reasons to join, read on below...
If you feel you may like to join our Lodge and become a Freemason, contact us...
Our Story So Far
If your interested in the history...
Interested in Our History?
Every Lodge has a story to tell
This is ours...
There were nine preliminary meetings of the Brethren who became the Founders of our Lodge. They were held between Friday 12th May 1944 and Friday 2nd March 1945.
W Bro W G Higham took the chair for these meetings with Bro W J Aston acting as Secretary in the first instance. The most senior brother present was W Bro Fred S Rawson PAGDC PPGW who had first suggested to the then Provincial Grand Master, RW Bro General Sir Francis J Davies, KCB KCMG KCVO VL Deputy Grand Master, that a new lodge should be formed at Kings Heath.
The petition was signed by the Founders and then presented to the sponsoring lodge at its regular meeting at Moseley Masonic Hall, Kings Heath on 1st July 1944. The deputation consisted of W Bros T H Dawson and W G Higham and Bros T A Wood and J J Penny. The sponsoring lodge and therefore our Mother Lodge was the Lodge of St Oswald No 5094.
The Founders then set to work on all the necessary administrative work required before a lodge can be consecrated. For instance there were three drafts of the Lodge Badge and Banner that were sent to Grand Lodge before they were happy with the design we now have. The matter of a Lodge Name, who would be Master and what style of ritual would be worked to name but a few. The latter, once decided by a ballot, caused one of the petitioners to strike his name from the petition. W Bro J C Potter who was in favour of Taylor’s ritual was then replaced by Bro E Wilkes.
The Founding brethren soon arranged all the necessary details and received support from the Deputy and Assistant Provincial Grand Masters. During January and February 1945, the Founders decided upon their first initiates, joining members and the gifts that they would present to the lodge. The Lodge of St Oswald kindly offered the use of their furniture until such time as it was possible for the Lodge of Peace and Goodwill to procure its own.
The Founders gifts are still in use today and are listed in the table below:
|Lodge Banner||Bro E Wilkes|
|WM Collar and Gauntlets||W Bro F Wilson|
|SW Collar and Gauntlets||W Bro W G Higham|
|JW Collar and Gauntlets||Bro T A Wood|
|Working Tools in Case||W Bro WG and Bro L G Higham|
|Charity Column||Bro J S Warren|
|Ballot Box||W Bro T H Dawson|
|Bible||W Bro W G Higham|
|Bible Cushion||W Bro T H Dawson|
|3rd Degree Cloth and Pillow||W Bro F S Rawson|
|Heavy Maul for WM||W Bro F Wilson|
|Square and Compass for Bible||W Bro T H Dawson|
|Minute Book||Bro W J Aston|
|Hymn Books||W Bro W A Jeffrey|
|DC and ADC Wands||W Bro F S Rawson|
|Senior Deacon’s Wand||Bro J J Penny|
|Junior Deacon’s Wand||Bro F G Nash|
|Inner Guards Tools||Bro D R Farr|
|3 Gavels and Sounding Blocks||Bro C D Ward|
It was at this point that the Founders agreed the By‐laws of the lodge; produced the honourable understandings, which it was their desire to instil within the brethren of the Lodge. From its consecration this text dictated the standards of behaviour and the slight variances of ritual and festive board etiquette. This they hoped would distinguish the Lodge of Peace and Goodwill from others. These honourable understandings, with slight variations introduced in 1988 to bring them and the Lodge By Laws inline with Grand Lodge recommendations are still in existence today.
The Consecration and first regular meeting of the Lodge of Peace and Goodwill took place on the 16th March 1945.
The Consecrating officer was the then Deputy Grand Master and Provincial Grand Master for the Province of Worcestershire, R W Bro Gen Sir Francis J Davies KCB KCMG KCVO VL. There were some one hundred and fifty Brethren present at Moseley Masonic Hall. The Oration was given by W Bro Canon J Grant Richardson, Provincial Grand Chaplain; this oration as recorded is reproduced here. The Founders and the Consecrating officers enjoyed a private Luncheon before the Consecration.
After the consecration, the First Worshipful Master was installed by the Consecrating team. The first officers are listed in the table below:
|W.M.||W Bro F Wilson P.M. 4560,5650|
|S.W.||W Bro W.G. Higham P.M. 5650|
|J.W.||Bro T A Wood 5650|
|Treasurer||W Bro T H Dawson P.M & D.C. 43|
|Secretary||Bro E Wilkes 5407,5846|
|D.C.||W Bro F S Rawson P.M. 1874,4144,5094, PAGDC, PProv G W|
|S.D.||Bro J J Penny, 5407|
|J.D.||Bro F J Nash, 3659|
|Asst Secretary||Bro W J Aston, 5650|
|Asst D. C.||Bro L G Higham, 5650|
|I.G.||Bro D R Farr, 5407, 5846|
|Steward||Bro J S Warren, 3659, 5846|
|Steward||Bro C D Ward, 3713|
|I.P.M.||W Bro W A Jeffrey, P.M. 1946 P Prov G Supt Wks (W Div SA)|
All the brethren celebrated afterwards with a sumptuous banquet, or at least as sumptuous as War time rationing would allow!
All of the Consecrating Rulers were proposed as Honorary members at that meeting, this being confirmed by ballot and approved at the 2nd Regular meeting. Also at this meeting, the Lodge’s first candidate was initiated into the mysteries and privileges of Freemasonry, Mr Murray A Bull, who progressed quickly within the Lodge and was the 9th Worshipful Master in 1953.
Given at the Consecration of the Lodge - 16th March 1945
By: W Bro Canon J Grant Richardson, Provincial Grand Chaplain.
Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master and Brethren, we are met together this afternoon on a solemn and historic occasion. Solemn from the nature of our intention, and historic from the influence it will have on generations of our Masonic Brethren yet to be, for it is a task of Building.
Such a task is congenial to Masons, whether they be Operative or Speculative. To the former, their works are visible to men, to the latter they are invisible to the eye of nature, yet keenly perceived by that special insight which is the mark of the Speculative Mason. For these raise no structure of bricks and mortar, they have the nobler task of erecting a Spiritual Superstructure, compound of the noblest thoughts of Masonic hearts, and firmly cemented together with the Mortar of their highest aspirations.
It is in this mind that we hope to erect a building which shall be perfect in its parts and honourable to the builder. At such time it is our custom to remind ourselves of those Masonic foundations on which all our Lodges are based, and from which they draw their stability. Our Ritual tells us that Masonry is founded on the purest principles of Piety and Virtue, and so indeed it is. But let us not forget that to the ancient Brethren who formulated that Ritual, Piety and Virtue had a sacred and hallowed meaning. To us today Piety has an acquired meaning, it is unfortunately associated with that religious humbug of the drooping head and sidelong glance which honest and true men find hard to tolerate. To our ancient Brethren it meant nothing other than our whole duty to God and Man. Piety means duty, and bearing that meaning it produced one of the greatest poems the World has ever seen – Virgil’s Aeneid.
So Brethren, this duty, which comes of Piety, being our foundation, we remind ourselves today that at the centre of our Institution there will
ever remain God. We hail Him as the Great Architect of the Universe, the Author and Centre of our being. We hail Him as the Grand Geometrician of the Universe, whose words are a never ending source of wonder and admiration. To us He is the Most High. What we shall do this afternoon will be for His Glory, and for the Honour of His Most Holy Name. He it is who inspires us in our duty to Man. For we profess that in all our relations with our fellow men, and specially with our Brethren, our thoughts and actions shall be shot through with feelings of Brotherly Love, Truth and a desire to Relieve them in their afflictions and distresses. So, well defined in all Masonic Hearts, is our duty to Man.
Bearing in mind then these common foundations of our Brotherhood, let us now look at the superstructure. May I first of all congratulate you
on the name you have chosen for it. In this Shell‐riven World of today, where Humanity is reeling from the horrors it has seen and suffered, the name you have chosen brings us all the one thing that can bring comfort, solace, and hope. I mean Peace, for this is the name you will give your Lodge.
But Peace may well be a mirage, and an illusion, if it means for us but a cessation of the fighting, if it means that we retire into our Ivory Tower, or our own minds, there to pursue what other men have not. Peace can never be the peculiar possession of a select few. Peace is a desirable state for all men, therefore, there must be added the dynamic word – “Goodwill”. Even as the Angels at Bethlehem sang “peace on Earth to Men of Goodwill” so to men of goodwill alone will come that most precious of all God’s gifts to man. For it is men of Goodwill alone, who will, by their actions promote Peace, and by their words ensue it. And so in your Title you offer to Masonry in this Province, and to Masonry throughout the World, a glimpse of that better World which is yet to be.
Of you, may it ever be said –“Here is the Lodge of Peace, for it is fashioned and preserved by Men of Goodwill”.
The Lodge Banner was consecrated at the third regular meeting of the Lodge on 15th May 1945 by V W Bro Rev P Scott‐Warren, Past Provincial Grand Chaplain. The oration is reproduced below. In addition to this ceremony, there was also the initiation of the second candidate for the Lodge, Mr Ernest West, who at some point leapfrogged Murray Bull and became the 8th Master in 1952! Unfortunately the minutes of the Officers and Past Masters committee are not available so the reasons for many of the decisions taken in the Lodge are lost to us.
The next meeting held does not count towards our first 400, for it was a Lodge of Emergency, held by dispensation outside of and in addition to the normal meetings. This was because the Candidate for the evening was a Squadron Leader in the RAF and was due to be posted to the Middle East before the next Regular Meeting. Mr Leo Stanley Davies, was also passed within Peace and Goodwill but then left for service overseas. The minutes record greetings from Bro. Davies for many years, mostly from the Middle East.
Oration given at the Dedication of a new Lodge Banner 18th November 1988
By: W Bro Rev P T B B Lutton, P Prov G Chaplain, Acting Provincial Grand Chaplain
Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master and Brethren. The medieval wars, the Crusades, the brothers of the Reformation, had made men weary of squabbling. Again men of note and learning had attended Masons’ Lodges since the time of Prince Edwin in the 10th Century, attracted by the deep Symbolism, and the harmony they found in these Lodges. So war‐weariness on the one hand, and the vision of fraternity on the other, led to the formation of the Grand Lodge of England in 1717, walking the middle path of wisdom and charity, in peace and goodwill.
Still maintaining, pure and unsullied, the Masonic ideal – the Brotherhood of man, under the Fatherhood of God – this Lodge of Peace and Goodwill was consecrated on 16th March 1945, and the first Banner was consecrated on the 15th May 1945. Tonight we join together in the Consecration of this replacement Banner, hand made by the Nuns at a convent in Calcutta.
So, gathering up the past – and what memories it contains for us! – we face the future with the vision bright before us, let circumstances bring what they may.
In the heart of the Lodge, and in the centre of the Banner, Peace and Goodwill are symbolised by the Dove bearing an Olive Branch, and by
Clasped Hands. The Dove represents harmlessness and innocence, and is the opposite of hard aggressiveness. Again, Olive trees take so long to
mature that, in themselves, they represent patience and a peaceful environment. Then, for many Centuries the un‐gloved hand was taken as
a kind of insult, except among those who were on terms of great friendship.
It is difficult for us, in our day, to realise what an act of faith and trust was involved in reaching out to grasp the hand of another in goodwill. The central symbols are surrounded by four symbols so well known among Masons that they need not detain us now.
Speaking of the Banner as depicted on the Summons and Order of Procedure, let us turn our attention to the Gourds, the Bottle Gourds on either side of the sprig of Acacia. These remind us of the Book of Jonah in the Volume of the Sacred Law. Jonah had been sent by God to preach against Nineveh, and to announce its coming destruction. We find him sitting in a booth, sheltered from the heat of the Sun, by a Bottle Gourd growing over a framework, and he was anticipating, with some pleasure, the catastrophe about to overtake the City.
The narrative continues:‐
At dawn the next day, at God’s command, a worm attacked the Gourd and it died. After the Sun had risen, God sent a hot East wind, and Jonah was about to faint from the heat of the Sun beating down on his head …. So he wished he were dead. But God said to him, “What right have you to be angry about the Plant?” Jonah replied, “I have every right to be angry.” The Lord said to him, “This Plant grew up in one night, and disappeared the next. You didn’t do anything for it, and you didn’t make it grow, yet you feel sorry for it! How much more then, should I have pity on Nineveh, that great City. After all, it has more than 12,000 innocent Children in it, as well as animals!”
So the Gourds remind us that our peace and goodwill must extend beyond our Brethren in Freemasonry, and even include the biosphere.
Thanking the Great Architect of the Universe for that Peace and Goodwill, which alone enables us to survive, and acting in conformity with the principles of the Craft, we press on into the years ahead, ever remembering to discharge our duty to Him with fervency and zeal.
- 1956 W Bro L G Higham Prov G Stwd
- 1957 W Bro E West Prov G Purs
- 1958 W Bro M A Bull Prov Asst G Purs
- Worshipful Master – Immediate Past Master
- Senior Warden – Junior Deacon
- Junior / Senior Deacons – Director of Ceremonies
- 1964 W Bro D H Wood Prov Dep. GDC
- 1965 W Bro H R Harradence Prov JGD
- 1966 W Bro T A Wood Prov GDC (Warks)
- 1966 W Bro T A Wood P G Std B
- 1969 W Bro D G Hosking Prov Dep. GDC
- 1969 W Bro T A Wood AGDC
- 1970 W Bro D H Wood Prov Dep. GDC
- 1970 W Bro T A Wood PAGDC
- 1970 W Bro D H Wood Prov Dep. GDC
- 1971 W Bro W Gregory Prov G Stwd
- 1971 W Bro D H Wood Prov Dep. GDC
- 1972 W Bro C Gregory Prov AGDC
- 1972 W Bro T A Wood Asst PGM (Warks)
- 1973 W Bro D H Wood Prov Dep. GDC
- 1973 W Bro T A Wood Asst PGM (Warks)
- 1973 W Bro D H Wood Prov Dep. GDC
- W Bro Tony Sadler
- W Bro Louis Tippins (Obit.)
- W Bro Alan Russell
- WBro Clive Abbott
- W Bro John Dillon
- 1974 W Bro D H Wood Prov Dep. GDC
- 1975 W Bro D H Wood Prov Dep.GDC
- 1978 VW Bro T A Wood Dep. PGM (Warks)
- 1979 W Bro J A Sadler Prov AGDC
- 1979 W Bro J Woodall Prov G Stwd
- 1981 RW Bro T A Wood Prov GM
- 1982 W Bro D H Wood PAGDC
- 1993 W Bro J A Sadler PGStB
- 1993 W Bro J A Sadler Prov G Treas
- 1994 W Bro J A Sadler Prov G Treas
- 1995 W Bro J A Sadler Prov G Treas
- 1996 W Bro J A Sadler Prov G Treas
- 1997 W Bro J A Sadler Prov G Treas
- 2005 W Bro E D Baker Prov G Stwd